Address: Social Work Unit, Level 3, Tiġrija Palazz, Republic Street, Victoria, Gozo.
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Winter opening hours
Monday to Thursday: 08:00 – 12:30
Friday: 10:00 – 14:00
Saturday: 08:00 – 12:30
|Summer opening hours
Monday to Friday: 08:00 – 13:30
Saturday: 08:00 – 11:30
The Social Work Unit within the Ministry for Gozo provides generic social work services, professional help and assistance to different client groups coming from different walks of life and with different backgrounds who form part of its community. As part of its services, professionals liaise and work together with other agencies for the sole benefit of our clients.
Cases of domestic violence and gender-based violence can be referred to our Unit through self-referral or by being referred by other professionals within the community, family members, acquaintances or neighbours. Each client is assigned a social worker, and each case is professionally assessed. If needs be, and with the client’s consent, clients are referred to other services from which they might benefit.
- Assessing the clients’ individual and personal situation and formulating a care plan together with the client.
- Linking the clients (experiencing gender-based violence [GBV] and domestic violence [DV] related problems) to the relevant services to improve their situation.
- Provision of On Call Social Work Service after office hours.
- Assisting police authorities in social cases within the community.
- Assisting court authorities by making the necessary assessments and monitoring of cases as decreed by court.
- Performing Supervised Access Visits as decreed by competent courts.
- Performing outreach activities in the form of providing information about our services via participation in talks within the community, seminars, etc.
The Social Worker Services are offered from Tarxien Community Clinic and Birkirkara Health Centre. The working schedule is between 07:00am and 15.30pm on Monday and Wednesday at Tarxien Community Clinic while on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, at Birkirkara Health Centre.
A ticket of referral from General Practitioners (GPs), Allied Health Practitioners, Nursing or Pharmacy professionals working within Primary Health Care is required for this service. Referral to this clinic is through the normal ticket of referral form, which should be filled in with all the pertinent clinical details.
The role of a social worker is to intervene with persons who are experiencing any form of social difficulty, including relationship problems, poverty, and substance misuse/abuse amongst others. The social worker can carry out risk/needs assessment, provide emotional support to the client and be a liaison/referral person to other professionals and services.
Some of the possible scenarios that a GP/health professional may come across at the health centre and would be required to refer to the social worker include:
- Patients with injuries secondary to domestic violence
- Patients being closely monitored and dominated by their respective partner/employer
- Children with non-accidental injuries
- Mental health patients needing support and monitoring
- Substance/alcohol misuse
- Gambling problems
- Sexual abuse
The above scenarios are identified through the medical history and behaviours associated with domestic violence and abuse.